Smore is Less - Into the Beyond

8/7/14
What Nancy and I bring camping often goes beyond the basics - especially when it comes to food stuffs. Butter, herbs, flavored vinegars, olive oil, mushrooms, steaks, marinara sauce and pasta to name some. But chocolate, marshmallows and graham crackers may be standards campers always have. But we did buy a special extendable fork for toasting the marshmallows rather than the traditional sharpened sticks usually pressed into service. A contest naturally ensued for who could toast the marshmallows better - I like to have mine catch fire (and blow them out) and Nancy is the slow grilled type. The contest was a draw.
But the real fun was reading the labels on the marshmallow bag. “Choking Hazard - cut into small pieces for young children”. Evidently they can be extremely dangerous. This caused hysterics of the dark humor sort imagining a hungry camper having to have a Heimlich. Evidently the Stay Puff Marshmallow Man - of “Ghostbusters” fame did have a real weapon - he could have choked New Yorkers to death.
Just a side note about campfires. I don’t believe in the Boy Scout methodology of starting a fire by building a neat mini Hindu cremation pyre - I bring charcoal lighter fluid - something I learned watching “Apocalypse Now”.
Note to self: change guitar strings when I get home. My fingers are turning black when I play from all the campfire soot.
R

No comments:

Post a Comment